An overview of events during her visit:
Saturday August 16th: She flies in in the afternoon, I take the explorer and Marian to get her. One lane of route 22 past Whitehall is closed, so the entire highway was backed up beyond Cedar Crest. Marian freaked out that I was missing the exit as we approach airport road south, so I took the wrong exit and ended up having to make a U turn in a parking lot a few blocks down. We ended up arriving about 10 minutes after Brenda was out of the airport.
We wanted to go to Red Robin, but the prospect of doing another U turn to get on the right side of Airport road drove us to visit Friendlies instead. I had a good Chicken sandwich, and Brenda and I split a berry shake that was good. Drive back was uneventful.
Sunday: David arrives in the afternoon, and Brenda takes him to the park.
Monday: We take David in to Foot Locker in Wyomissing to buy new shoes. He got some branded Nike shoes that cost $50 and will only last him a year anyway. We went to Red Lobster, as usual I got the caesar, new england clam, tilapia, and brownie four course meal while having no room for the main course. It was great the next day, though.
Tuesday: Angelo comes over in the morning, and Brenda takes him and David to the pool. When they come back, they take me mini-golfing with them. A close match ends with me at 63 points, David and Brenda at 64, and Angelo at 72. I only took first on the last hole as well - I need to take along a putter I can reach with if I go there again.
Wednesday: Jeff takes Brenda back to the airport to fly out. Yeah seriously, $500 of plane tickets to come out for four days. Tried to teach David computer fundamentals, found out he didn't know what metric prefixes were, and the discussion culminated with him not being able to do arithmatic simple fractions after a discussion of what "learning" actually is.
Thursday: I take David to get a haircut in the morning (all of a few strands of hair get cut) and the intersection at Turkey Hill is shut down and the construction crew had a huge hole in the road at the time. In the afternoon I went to Rosie Leibenspergers house to present them a shiny new MX100 SSD - I had exported Chic (her husbands) databases from the Fire Company to an Excel file, and did not know Libreoffice Basic existed at the time, so I switched him back after a few hours of setup to his Windows drive in the mean time. I put the drive in Rosies computer, which had a slow usb wifi card that was only supported in more recent kernel firmware than what Suse 13.1 has right now, so an updated kernel and firmware made it work - somewhat (it sometimes requires reattaching to make work).
Friday: David leaves, and in a stellar performance procrastinates setting up a piece of junk ipod nano his mother got him. I think he got two songs on it, and the lady in her infinite wisdom has already bought him $65 of itunes gift cards.
Saturday: At mothers most of the day, watched Mrs. Doubtfire, unloaded tote bins from the collapsing front room, got a big headache, ate really good ham, scallops, and baked beans. Twisted ankle painfully on the depressed walk outside the house where the stone face of the steps is abraded, which hurt all evening.
No comments:
Post a Comment