Thursday, January 30, 2014

16

VERY delayed blog here, pc was down all night.

New GPU arrived, so after an otherwise uneventful day I installed it (took half an hour to figure out the wifi go module is removable by taking out the screws under the motherboard pcb). The Atheros NIC worked out of the box and connects much faster than the crappy broadcom one, but I only get one radio (still) and no bluetooth at all. Gotta figure that out eventually.

But there were more pressing matters, at least at the time - that got more pressing over time. The GPU wasn't showing up in xrandr at all (note: shows up now!), which was because I was missing the dri and xf86 drivers for it.

So during one the reboots (note: the firmware [aka, piece of crap] doesn't have vga boot support for AMD gpus, so it forces the CSM on if it has that set to the primary display. Turns out that is unnecessary, because the optimal way to set things up in the first place is through PRIME with the igpu connections.

Disaster strikes though, when one reboot I'm unable to get any video out when working with the gpu, so I do a reset, but in the process corrupt a huge chunk of my rootfs. I found out later using btrfs-image you can backup the metadata log of a corrupt drive before using btrfs-zero-log to fix it, but I didn't know that.

So first I was zeroing the log to get the system to boot, but then It would propegate errors in accessing files in the firefox profile that force a remount in ro mode.


I then found out that the balancer was broken (probably due to these corrupt inodes) so I can't use that and I have to run skip_balance on boot.


So as of now, my root disk isn't balancing, and I have a bunch of dead files I need to get rid of. Most likely candidate barring other solutions is to just copy everything else out of the subvolume and recreate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment